Thursday, October 11, 2012

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times: it was college.

     Today in my Speech class, our professor asked if any of us had a blog. I raised my hand and he got really excited (he loves me.) He then proceeded to ask me what I wrote about. . . . .I told him just general things about my life. Reflections and such. I don't think he was very impressed. So from now on, my blog will somewhat have a theme from post to post. From now on each post will be inspired by a song that has either been on my mind or that fits my situation at the time. Prepare yourselves :P 
    
    Today's song is...........Good Time by Owl City and Carly Rae Jepson 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7HmzwI67ec

   College has exposed me to a ton of new experiences and people that I never would've had the opportunity to experience otherwise. I've been exposed to some good things, like the tenors winning the Choralympics because I did the splits in the dance-off (that's something I never expected to say) and attending different churches, and some bad things, like witnessing some of the "normal" college rituals. I've seen people worshiping Christ in a group full of genuine love in their hearts and people partying and excessively using foul language all in the same day (F-bomb, I HATE it!). This is what life is. It's not always going to be filled with great, Christian people. Going to college is bringing me closer to God by letting me know I've made the right decision to follow Him. Lord knows I wouldn't have made 100's on 3  of my midterms (and A's on all of the rest) without studying for a single one without His help. You really do need Him in your life, but that's for another post. . . 
     One of the greatest things that's starting to happen is finding new friends that I can be myself with. That's the biggest thing I was worried about when I first moved here. It took me so long in Manchester to find where I belonged, and I don't have that much time here. So of course I over thought everything. "I'm not going to make any friends, I'm going to be alone, everyone will think I'm weird." They probably do think I'm weird, but  I've finally started to get to where I have people I can call my friends. I like that. And I like them. I'm never going to replace any of my other friends- it just can't be done, but I'd like to think I've added a new column to my list of friends -with a few faithful ones overlapping from highschool to college, you know who you are :D. 
    Tonight, a group of us went to our friend's soccer game (which was a complete joke- they played guys in flannel cut off shirts and cut off jeans-The Lumberjacks.) On the drive there and back we crammed into a car and blasted the radio to the point where I'm sure everyone thought we were drinking something a little stronger than Starbucks frappuccino if you know what I'm saying. . . But we didn't care. One of the songs we belted out (very out of tune I should add) was Good Time. If you actually take the time to listen to the words, it describes me and my friends perfectly. "Doesn't matter when, it's always a good time then, we don't even have to try, it's always a good time." We really don't have to try. I'll never be able to fathom what is fun about getting drunk or high or whatnot. My friends and I have fun without those things. True friends can have fun lying on a set of stairs rubbing new plush carpet or watching TV and judging Abby Miller and the dance moms. We don't need games or food (although those do aid in fun ;P); all we need are our own bodies and wonderfully strange personalities.  And we don't even have to try. That's how it's always been and I never want to have to TRY to have fun with my friends. What's the fun in that? 

1 comment: