Monday, October 29, 2012

Homework and Taylor Swift

     Homework. The inevitable. The hated. The omnipresent. The bane of my existence. For years now I've been slaving over a desk for hours at a time bringing you one step closer to your demise. But like Jesus on that third day you just keep coming back to me, only instead of bringing along eternal joy and life in heaven, you bring eternal annoyance and life in the library. I wish you would take a permanent leave of absence. Now that I'm in college my nights have become longer and less intimate with you, however. Even though you're still just as present, there are countless distractions that I always end up placing higher on the ole priorities list. So yes, you still get some attention, just later at night, for shorter periods of time, and less intricately performed. Like this blog for instance, there are a million things I should be doing right now. Do I want to do them? Nope. Not really. So instead, I'll write about a person who's been on my mind alot lately. 
    As many of  you may or may not know, Taylor Swift just recently released her fourth album, Red. I've always been a T-Swift fan, and I will take up for her in any situations in which her musicianship is questioned. Sure, she may not have the vocal prowess of Celine Dion. Sure, she may not possess J-Lo's sex appeal. But one thing she's doing pretty well at is knowing what America wants. Her new album is nothing like anything I've ever heard before. There's a little bit of pop, hip hop, dubstep  and of course her oh so charming country ballads. It's new, it's fresh, it's different- it's RED. 
     When Taylor made her debut as a teenage country singer, her songwriting abilities took precedence over any of her other talents. Then she sang live. I'll be the first one to admit it. She stunk. From then on she faced ridicule for lacking the talent of her fellow superstars. Throughout her career, it's obvious that she has been working on her vocal chops. Last week when she performed on Ellen, I was like "Get it, girl!!" She was actually good. Just goes to show that there is always hope for people willing to stand up for their talents and prove America wrong. You go, Tay. 
     And now, after wasting another hour of my time writing this, it's time for homework. For real :/ 
But before the massacre begins, here is my new jam, direct from (you guessed it) Taylor Swift's new album!
Taylor Swift, I Knew You Were Trouble

No comments:

Post a Comment